Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Bad Day

오랜만에이다 내blog...
Hahaha... had an urge to blog, finally. Add to that the coincidence of finding myself alone at home, perfect opportunity for doing my own thing. Quiet & solitude suits me just fine.

It's been a long time since I've had to drive myself to college. I have much to say about the increasingly difficult parking situation at HELP University.
Had an 8.30am class to attend this morning. Asked a friend beforehand, what time I have to get there to get a decent parking space; so he said, 7.30am.
Now those of you who know me well (maybe even not so well), would know how difficult it is to drag me from my sleep early in the morning. But thanks to 2 alarm clocks & a 3-hour-not-so-deep-sleep, I had no trouble waking up at 6.30am. And it took me only 20 minutes to arrive at the parking lot at 7.30am sharp, thanks to school holidays, loose traffic.
Turns out my friend was right. I parked my car, then worried about others double parking & blocking my car, and contemplated changing space. And in the course of 5 minutes (contemplating), I watched students filling up all the other parking spaces. =.=
Funny how I always tell myself "listen to your gut", but always too slow to take action till it's too late. But it turns out my gut feeling didn't help much this time. To be revealed later in this post.

So I took the bus to KPD, went to Subway to get breakfast. Great sandwich + free coffee (breakfast menu), my favourite fast food franchise. Haha.
Looked around and guessed that they're not ready yet, so I sat down to wait. I realised belatedly that their business hours start at 8am. (What?! I thought it was 7.45am. Since when did they change that?) Anyway, that means I'm early by 15 minutes, so I settled to reading my Economist. But you know what's weird? These Subway guys were blasting CLUB MUSIC on their speakers! *faint* (Dude! It's 8 freaking a.m. in the morning! And I'm reading!!!) Apparently they need loud music to wake them up. @@
I had to blast my own MP3 to counter that annoying sound. I hate club music, of all genres. Thank god for Sony; The Script, Nickelback, Jason Mraz, Adele...

After breakfast, I made my way to class, fully expecting the campus to be affected by the water shortage; but no. We have no electricity! As Dr Sharon said, no water no electricity, we live in a 3rd world country. Haha. We did have water but not electricity. As temporary measures, there was a generator just outside the block. And guess where my classroom is? Right next to it!!!!!
OMG... you know how noisy that thing is?? I had to bear that buzz for 2 and a half hours of class. Couldn't concentrate. My right ear was already a bit swollen from too much MP3; now I feel pain.
Had my fair share of sound pollution this morning. I find that I cannot tahan noise. I'd either get headache or I'd vomit *blek*, that's how I felt.

After class, I went back to the parking lot. Surprise surprise. Somebody double-parked in front of my car.
Actually, there was no avoiding it. Every other space that can be squeezed into had been occupied by late-comers/double-parkers (eh, got such word meh?). Called the guy, and no surprise again, he's coming from KPD. So I had to wait for half an hour. Fortunately, the weather was nice and I could stand beside the car to read. By the way I bought a book at RM19.90 at a stall in front of block A earlier, while waiting for the bus. The name of the author caught my eye and I just bought it out of curiosity. I suspect it is counterfeit, though.
While waiting, I realised that such was the reality of HELP students. Come early for parking or double-park or park illegally and risk kena saman; and if you finish earlier than others expect to call somebody to remove their vehicle cuz they're blocking you. Consider the costs, waiting for the other person to come, and the costs on his side for having to leave class. The whole situation reminds me of Hong Kong, with the lack of land/resources (parking space) & overcrowded population (students), with the effect on people having to rush through their lives & to deal with high costs of living.

On the drive home, I was thinking about all the stress/noise I encountered in just one morning. At the same time thinking about the book I just bought, about uncertainties/randomness/probabilities. At one point I switched the radio channel and out came Daniel Powter's Bad Day. Yea, I kinda had a bad day. What are the odds??? (pun intended) XD

No comments: